Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Where everybody knows my name.

Today, at my normal coffeeshop where I go to work from "home" (when actual home gets too quiet), the barista called me by name. Of course, it was in the context of, "Kate, I forgot all about you!" because I went up to the counter to check on the status of my drink about 20 minutes after I ordered it. But still, he knows me! I think this means I need to start tipping more. (Here's a question--my normal Americano is exactly $2. What should I do? I feel like a whole dollar tip is too much. But I am REALLY loath to tip with change, because I need quarters for laundry and other change for the bus. Help me out, frequent coffee drinkers.)

For some reason, I love to be associated with things (uh, like drinks). At the bar at my school, there was a drink called the "Winne." (You might still be able to get this! I think it was written on an index card in the drink rolodex behind the bar.
To be fair, I was kind of dating a bartender who worked there, so I don't think most patrons got their own drinks.) I probably wouldn't like the Winne much now--it was pretty "girly," involving fruit juices and coconut rum (I was a Malibu fiend in college--another bartender there would make me a Malibu and Diet Coke as soon as he saw me walk in), but still, it was mine.

This whole thing is making me realize that perhaps I should focus more on recognition for coffee drinks and less on alcoholic drinks in the future. You know, in the interest of my liver and all.

8 Comments:

Blogger fabulous girl said...

You could tip every 2-3 drinks ... Don't know, I'm not good at this either. I never carry cash, so I usually just round up the debit slip to a whole dollar total & add a dollar if it's too low.

3:11 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

I could tip every other drink, but it's not always the same people working (only this one guy knows my name), and then some of them might think I'm cheap and some of them might think I'm generous... I'd like them all to know that I do tip, and I don't think in staff meetings they're talking about that girl with the red backpack who really is a good tipper, if you average it out.

These are the things about which I waste valuable time and brainpower.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Nee said...

I didn't realize people generally tipped for coffee... I thought you just dropped some change in a cup, but apparently this place is a bit more ritzy than that. What has happened to the Kate I once knew???

7:28 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

No, that's exactly what I'm talking about--change in a cup.

Obviously, I am WAY overthinking this problem.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Rainster said...

If it's my favorite coffee shop or one that has a good vibe in general, I always tip $1 for coffee. If not, sometimes I skip the tip.

I, too, hoard my quarters for laundry and dimes/nickels for the bus!!!!

4:44 PM  
Blogger paducci said...

this sounds seinfeld-ish. perhaps you should make sure that every person that works there sees you tip once...and then do random tippage.

5:25 AM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

This is sort of a moot point now, because I am taking a hiatus from this coffeeshop. You know how I said they forgot to make my coffee drink? Well, yesterday they forgot to make my salad. I was getting hungrier and hungrier, but I was thinking, "there's no WAY they could forget me TWO days in a ROW!"

Well, I guess they could. (It was different people working, though.)

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't see the winne when I was at the brown bar...

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home