Monday, September 19, 2005

The reason I didn't go to karaoke last night.

I had a job interview today. I didn't tell many people because I 100% totally, absolutely didn't want the job. I guess the company found my resume on Monster, but I have no clue what their search terms were. The other people called in for the interviews seemed very different than me. One woman kept checking her cellphone during the presentation. One guy was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. And 2 people could barely speak English. Man, that made me feel great, like, these are my peers? Bring back the ennui.

So I think my suited appearance and semi-articulate use of workplace cliches ("teamwork," "flexibility under pressure," etc) in the screening interview must have made some kind of impression, because during the presentation (in which they explained what the job would actually be like) the recruiter kept using me as the "good" example ("Katherine, let's say you're the CEO of this union...") and she'd use other people as "bad" examples ("Kirk, let's say you died. How would your wife handle your funeral costs?").

Anyway, I knew the job wasn't for me when I took the "candidate assessment test" (basically, the "are you a psycho?" personality test) and there was a question, "My number one goal is to be rich." So, I circled "disagree," and then the first thing the recruiter said in the presentation was, "This is a job for people who want to earn a LOT of money!"

And finally, here's another ego-boosting fact from the company website: "[The company] holds the philosophy that we don't need to start with the best people to end up with the best."

Gee, thanks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe their Monster search terms were "poor fit with company goals" and "ennui"?

And what, pray, is the question that follows "Katherine, let's say your the CEO of this union..."? That musta been a doozy.

11:03 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Ha ha! Yes, those MUST have been the search terms.

So...this was a company that sold "financial services" to members of unions. The question following would generally be something like, "what percentage of your members would you expect to ask for help with financial services?"

But poor Kirk--if he didn't have said financial services to help fund his funeral, his wife was screwed.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home