Thursday, September 15, 2005

Take back the penguins.

Last night at trivia, we discussed this article--basically, the conservative Christian right is co-opting March of the Penguins as a pro-life message of family values, monogamy, and intelligent design.

I have huge problems with this. First, as the movie pointed out, these penguins are monogamous, yes, but only for one season (ie, serial monogamy). When the next mating season comes around, it's a free-for-all, and the males and females don't look around for last season's mate.

Also, haven't these conservatives heard about the gay penguins? There are several homosexual penguin couples in the Central Park Zoo. One set, Silo and Roy, repeatedly tried to incubate a rock, so a zookeeper gave them an egg. And now they have a baby girl, Tango. (I need a kid so I can buy this book.)

Anyway, I loved the movie, and this quote from Michael Medved just frightens me: "This is the first movie they've enjoyed since 'The Passion of the Christ.' This is 'The 'Passion of the Penguins.' "

Let's take back the penguins! Who's with me?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That movie was great. I think its hilarious that conservatives are always talking about homosexuality and saying its unatural, conveniently ignoring the fact that it happens all the time among wild animals, particularly monkeys. Who da thunk right? I get my kittens tonight!!

James

6:23 AM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Oooh kittens! I am excited for you, even though puppies are better. Just kidding. :)

9:41 AM  
Blogger Nee said...

I'm with you!!! Though I should probably see the movie first... shame I can't see it with Frances tonight. Guitar lesson!

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home