Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Sunshine and corn salad.

When I walked outside to go to the gym today, I realized that it was the first time I'd been outside since Saturday night. That's really sad, but I'm blaming it on the sickness. Anyway, the blue skies and sunniness made me feel better. (The sad thing is that by the time my class was over, it was dark. At 7:45 pm! Summer is over.)

And then... I ate some corn salad! (Wow, what an incredible transition.) Boil 4 ears of (husked) corn for 3 minutes. Cool, then cut off kernels. Put in a bowl with 2 c. of halved cherry tomatoes, 1/4 chopped sweet onion, chopped chives, 1 chopped jalapeno, 1 T. red wine vinegar, and 2 or 3 T. olive oil. Mix, and salt and pepper to taste (let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes or so for maximum tastiness). Delicious and summery, to remind you of what you won't have in a month or two.

So, there's this Gilmore Girls episode on right now, and a bike race is coming through Stars Hollow. All of the bikers are yelling "big hole!" as they ride past Luke's diner. Before my long-distance biking experience, I thought this was really stupid. But now I know that's totally necessary! If you don't yell "hole" or at least point at the ground, someone's going to fall. So there, Luke! Don't be hating on the bikers.

I've managed to keep relatively calm
(besides becoming irate at the government) while watching hurricane footage on the news. But this afternoon, watching Oprah (OPRAH!), I started crying and couldn't stop. Nate Berkus (her decorator guy who survived the tsunami--his boyfriend died in the tsunami) was interviewing people at a temporary shelter. A bus had come to take people to a more permanent place in Baton Rouge. But animals couldn't come on the bus. The camera showed all of these shots of these dogs just waiting by the side of the road. (Started crying here.) And then there was this guy who refused to leave his dog. He was just hugging the dog and wouldn't look at the camera. So then Nate said something about "I don't give a crap about the cameras here, I promise you that I'm going to save your dog." He told the guy to get on the bus and that the show would take the dog to Baton Rouge. Then there was a shot of the guy and the dog reuniting the next day. Oh man. Leave it to a story of a man and his dog to really hit me.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I know where to go for recipes...

The rest of your blog nearly had me in tears... I'm happy the man got reunited with his dog.

4:08 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Try the corn salad, it's really good! (Spicy though, so maybe start with half a jalapeno and then taste, if you don't want something really spicy.)

Today on Oprah, Matthew McConaughey went to a hospital in DT New Orleans. This doctor there had kept 50 dogs safe for a WEEK and he promised their owners that he would get them out of the city safely. Matthew brought boats to evacuate all of the animals. More crying, obviously.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna try the eggplant one this weekend. Sounds yummy.

I'm getting two cats, either this Fri or next. Yeah!!

James

4:55 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

The eggplant is SO GOOD! Let me know what you think.

And 2 cats, James! Wow. Are they kittens or older cats?

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank (insert deity of choice here) someone is trying to help those dogs! I can't help but think that if I lost everything, I would need my dog(s) to comfort me. I saw Ann Curry float by a dog swimming in the water this morning on the Today Show and I had to turn it off--crying at work is not acceptable. Kate, don't ever watch the animal rescue show on Animal Planet. You will need a whole box of tissues.

5:58 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Ha ha, Sara! I didn't see this, but I already thanked [deity] today in my post!

But yeah, you're right. I definitely can't watch Animal Planet. I mean, I can barely watch that Pedigree "we're for puppies" commerical without crying, and that's supposed to be HAPPY.

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home