Sunday, September 18, 2005

I feel VERY strongly about this.

Tonight, part of a friend's post evoked pent-up rage that I thought I had sublimated. For those of you who aren't from Boston, here's an explanation. Where I lived in Somerville, there was street parking with permits--normally not too bad, except when there was a snow emergency. This meant that you had to park on the odd side of the street. Because both sides of the streets were normally filled with cars, there was obviously a crunch for parking when a snow emergency was declared. So, it'd snow, you'd rush to find a spot, but then you'd have to shovel out your car when you had to leave.

So far, okay. Except when some people would leave their spots on the street, they'd place a marker--a lawn chair, a recycling bucket, and once I even saw a kiddie pool--in their spot to say, "hey, I shoveled out this spot, and I want it when I get back." The issue is that there was no law to say this was legal--so some people did this, and some people (ie, me) didn't do it. So my spots were always taken when I got back from work. Why didn't I put something in my spot? It was street parking, not my driveway. It didn't belong to me. It should be first-come, first-serve. I hear you that you did all that work--but I did, too. Street parking = public parking = no reserving. That's my opinion.

Anyway, I've had arguments with people about this. Arguments! This from a person who never ever fights with friends.

So, while I might never again get to sing "Sweet Caroline" with other Sox fans after a once-in-a-lifetime World Series win, in Seattle I will never have to deal with the do-I-put-my-lawn chair-in-my-spot dilemma. I am mostly cool with that trade-off.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nee said...

just key the cars... that'll teach them!!

6:37 AM  
Blogger paducci said...

for a good time, and parking tickets, go to somerville!

7:39 AM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Oooh right. I forgot that for a while you were 2-for-2 with parking tickets and visiting Somerville.

I got my first Somerville parking ticket FOUR DAYS before moving to Seattle.

10:51 AM  
Blogger BS said...

I completely agree with you Kate. And if I didn't know that most people around here think like Nelly and would key my car, I'd just pull up, move the stupid chair, and pull right in.

Thanks, by the way, for getting me to re-read the post-win Globe article. Never read it. And I have to say that almost a year later, sitting at work on a really hectic day, just thinking about that night gave me chills.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Rainster said...

Dealt with that issue the little time I lived in Beantown; also have friends in Chicago who rant about it. I agree with you! Will also make a mental note never to do anything to unleash the Wrath of Kate!

5:01 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

I must admit I got a little teary-eyed remembering being in that bar with all of you guys when the Sox won. Man! I am REALLY going to miss that--remember all of the trips to John Harvard's to watch games?

The Wrath of Kate is hard to unleash, but beware! (Maybe don't "beware" so much--the wrath mostly consists of me complaing about whatever unleashed it...only now I have a public forum in which to complain!)

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home