Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Happy.

I got out of class (microbiology) a whopping 2+ hours early tonight. We took the exam (it was open book AND we took it in groups AND the questions were divided by chapter, so you knew exactly where to look for the answers). My group finished in about half the time the other groups took, and then we completed the lab before some groups even finished gathering their materials. I had serious Group Karma when I sat down at that lab table my first day of class.

Since I got out of class early, I was able to stop at Whole Foods on my way home (I drive home right past it!) and buy the ingredients for Nelly and Rob's anchovy broccoli orecchiette. It sounds weird, but it is SO good. I also got some pork tenderloin, which we broiled with dijon mustard.

I'm thinking of selling my car once I start grad school this fall, because I'll never need it, and I get a Flexcar discount. This is very thrilling. (Although this might speed up the necessity for me to learn to drive stick, which I am avoiding at all costs. [If only for the picking up girls reason: if I can drive stick myself, it won't really impress me when other people can do it...])

Finally, tomorrow's cooking lab class covers muffins and pies.

8 Comments:

Blogger Filmire said...

Learning to drive a stick was one of the most rewarding things I've done this year. Who knows, maybe you'd like it too. Just get Nate to take you to a big parking lot sometime to give it a try!

4:38 AM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Uh, yeah. I tried the whole parking lot thing. It was terrifying. How do you people do it? I think that I am just not coordinated in that way.

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's totally a practice thing. If one can walk and chew gum, one can drive stick. If you already know how to drive, a parking lot and some time (and patience, and slight disregard for the hardware) is all you need.

Not that I want to demystify it too much. It's the only thing I can do that 80% of the rest of Americans can't.

As for using it as a pickup line (since I got linked to, I can say this), my theory had always been that knowing how to do it (!) was as...useful as someone else knowing how.

Wait....what were we talking about again?

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't sell JETTA!!!!!!

8:41 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

I know! Jetta! (That's my car's name, for anyone who's wondering. Yes, I am original.)

Joe, ALL WE HAVE in Seattle is traffic. And huge hills. I hear hills are really not fun with a stick.

Rotorglow...now that's an interesting theory. So maybe I can just choose to be the person who doesn't know what she's doing?

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate, you *could* choose to be the one who doesn't know what she's doing, yes, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. It just alters the dynamic of the pickup-line-litmus-test. I was originally seeking to reassure/encourage you that learning how to drive stick wouldn't eliminate the "can you drive stick? [optionally followed by a saucy chuckle, depending on the circumstances]" line from your repertoire.

But what do I know? I never actually get any barroom-dialogue traction out of it. Hence I go (via automobile) from parkbench to parkbench, feeding the pigeons.....

8:37 AM  
Blogger Nee said...

woo-hoo for making Nelly and Rob pasta!

6:24 AM  
Blogger fabulous girl said...

Intentional learned helplessness is not sexy 80% of the time, especially in women. Driving stick is always sexy, even when you're driving alone. Go to TK!

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home