Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Nosy.

[Warning, this could possibly be TMI? But going with the title of the post, maybe you've seen the weird red mark on my nose recently, and were wondering...?]

Last week, this weird red patch appeared on my nose - of course I thought it was some sort of normal skin problem, but it didn't go away, and it didn't show any pimple-like characteristics. So I kind of thought it was funny at first - around Saturday, Nate said, "What's that thing on your nose?" and we laughed about it. (Herpes or a wart were the leading solutions.)

But then yesterday, suddenly, for no real reason, I thought of skin cancer. (...and my blog goes from totally superficial to super-serious, just like that...) I went right on the internet and promptly scared myself to death. (I have all of the risk factors: family history, fair skin, blue eyes, etc. And there were some pictures that looked like the thing on my nose.)

So, I found a dermatologist that had an appointment opening today. I stepped off the elevator and I saw "Skin Cancer Center" in huge letters next to the office and I almost had a heart attack. (Thanks to Nate who worked from home today, even after I insisted he go to work, and came to the doctor's office with me, after I insisted he stay home, and came into the examination room with me, etc...) The doctor gave me the contradictory message of "I don't think it's anything" and something along the lines of, "Let's take a biopsy because it has the characteristics of basal cell cancer." So he did a slice biopsy.

I'm really not worried. It's really really curable, if it is cancer. And if it's not cancer, then I have nose herpes, or a nose wart. But I'm just so self-conscious now! I have a freaking red hole in my nose where the doctor sliced it! I told him I was going to my college reunion this weekend, and that he had to take a very small amount of skin, so it could heal before Friday. I hope he listened.

5 Comments:

Blogger fabulous girl said...

You will be fine, regardless of the diagnosis, and we will all take turns working from home to nurse you back to health, if necessary. Or at least keeping you supplied with snacks from Trader Joe's, reality TV and alcohol. Nate's status as a good guy is now officially confirmed, btw. Keep us posted!

10:08 AM  
Blogger BS said...

And once you arrive for the reunion, your East Coast crew will take over the snack/TV/alcohol supplying.

5:21 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Hey, thanks, you guys. I promise I am not worried about it (which seems SO strange, considering I worry about everything that's remotely possible to worry about), but it's nice to hear the reassurance anyway.

(I like the dark chocolate-covered TJ's pretzles, in case anyone's wondering...)

1:24 AM  
Blogger fabulous girl said...

Although you're in a slightly stressed state, I'm going to hold you to my rule that if you can't spell the snack food, you don't get the snack food. Because I know you would do the same for me.

10:20 AM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

OMG! You are totally right!

[hanging head in shame, hungry]

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home