Monday, May 08, 2006

13.1.

Well, I didn't wimp out. The race was actually pretty awesome, and I did WAY better than I thought I would, even if I did fulfill my prediction of taking longer than half of the full marathon. (I guess a "long" run of 6 miles really is enough to complete a half marathon!) It rained the entire time we were running, but it wasn't cold. (WTF Weather Underground? You said a high of 38 degrees! It got to about 60 yesterday!) The rain wasn't bad at all, thanks to my fleece hat that kept the rain from dripping into my eyes and still let my head breathe. (This should serve as a lesson for whenever I see that it's the slightest bit drizzly outside and cancel my run. I won't melt!)

After crossing the finish line, we had to hobble down a ton of stairs (note to race organizers: descending stairs hurts!), but it was worth it, because I then ate a small cup of the best tapioca pudding I have ever had, as well as a delicious doughnut.

Other highlights of the weekend included (duh, all food-related): the best Indian food in North America at Vij's (I ate braised wild boar in black mustard seed and cream curry, sauteed rapini and spinach with paneer and roasted cashews, and marinated, seared pork tenderloin with garam masala sauteed cauliflower, spinach, and new potato curry), ketchup potato chips, cinnamon buns, and Canadian candy (Aero bars and peanut butter KitKats).

I won't lie, though. Up until Saturday night I was still hoping people would want to chicken out. In fact, in the car to Vancouver, this exchange occurred:
Anny: "We actually won't be running the whole half marathon tomorrow. We're only doing 4 miles of it..."
Kate [thinks]: Yes! Now I can wimp out too! Yay!
Anny: "...because I'm pregnant!"
Kate [thinks]: Shoot. Any way I can become "pregnant" by tomorrow morning?

[Note to god-type deity: I was just kidding there! Joking! Really! I did the run!]

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! And...I *loves* Weather Underground. Best weather site.

Yep.

8:14 PM  
Blogger paducci said...

awesome, congrats on the run

yeah, that restaurant name is nifty too :)

4:28 AM  
Blogger camarooned said...

Great work, Kate! I am not sure how often you train, but you posted a good time as well.

Here's hoping I can survive the Edge to Edge Half in Ucluelet in mid-June.

Did you like the ketchup chips?

9:35 AM  
Blogger Rainster said...

Congrats! (Some of us can barely do the "on the ball" exercises at the gym, and can live vicariously through your sportsiness...)
And ketchup chips are awesome!

8:52 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Wait...what? Do you really love it? Is that a joke? I've been using it for Seattle weather since I moved and I've never had a problem. But it was totally wrong for this weekend.

Yes, Vijay, I knew you'd like it. In fact, I kept pronouncing it "Vijay's," which is wrong.

Thanks Cam! I was very happy with my time. In fact... I almost want to do another whole marathon. Oh boy. When I actually think of starting to train I am sure I'll talk myself out of it.

And ketchup chips are SOOOOO GOOD. MMMMM.

9:57 PM  
Blogger fabulous girl said...

Camarooned, we are SO going to this restaurant the next time I'm in town. In fact, there was a road trip to Van in the planning ce soir .. you'll have to be avail when we cross the 49th ...

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home