Monday, April 24, 2006

Kate-EXP.

So I'm pretty sure everyone who reads this listened, but I HAVE to document this for posterity. My KEXP Pick 3 appearance was this morning.

Leading up to this morning, I had about 5 separate nightmares. A few involved not being able to get there in time (I couldn't find my shoes in one dream) and several others involved John asking me a question and me just completely blanking.

Thankfully, it went so much better than expected. Like, a million times better. John said it was the best Pick 3 yet. And Cheryl Waters walked in at the end and she said she liked my picks. (Also, amazingly, I had very little OMG-I'm-talking-to-John-Richards starstruck-ness. I mean, during the last pledge drive, I found myself completely frozen when he walked into the kitchen as I was filling my Nalgene. But today--no fear!)

The archived audio is up here. Just choose April 24th at 8 AM. You'll get the tail end of a song before my part starts.

Special thanks to Vijay and Joe who emailed John during the segment. (John: "Some guy tells me that I should ask you for a small glass of water?") And many of you asked about my "fan mail" that John mentioned. Let's just say that my picks may have convinced someone named Dan in Kansas to move to Seattle! (Note to Dan: Please don't move here on my account. But I am pretty positive Seattle would be a step up from where you live now!)

Wow. What an awesome experience.

7 Comments:

Blogger BS said...

I thought your radio premier was so momentous that I listened at work without headphones. You were great! Fabulous radio voice...ever considered interning there?

9:25 AM  
Blogger camarooned said...

Hey, that was pretty good, Kate! I liked your three picks (though when it comes to country I lean more towards Palace Brothers), and the thread that combined them. And you raved about KEXP so much I am now listening to it at work. I love streaming!

2:54 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

BS, thank you for the radio voice compliment, but I cannot really appreciate it because I am one of those people who can't stand the sound of her voice. (Or is everyone like that? John said he didn't like the sound of his voice either, and he's a DJ!)

And Cam, I am so glad you listened, but I'm even happier that I got you to listen to KEXP. Best radio station ever!

10:30 AM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Also, they have like 639475983 billion people waiting to DJ intern, plus really, that's not my kind of thing, I don't think. But I am now working there an afternoon a week at the front desk (glorified receptionist/secretary). This is awesome though, because I'll most likely get free concert tickets and stuff. Plus when bands come to the station to play live, I let them in the door!

10:32 AM  
Blogger fabulous girl said...

I may have also been converted by the powers of Katexp - listened all day today until Sean's show started at 3. And your new /job/ reminds me of my /work/ for the CBC during the Nagano Olympics in 1998. Except the people I was sitting across the reception area from were athletes, which was pretty exciting, if you follow Canadian winter sports ... like HOCKEY!

3:29 PM  
Blogger paducci said...

katexp...how clever. yeah, you sounded dandy on the radio, composed, clear.

kate got me hooked on kexp several years ago while she was in boston...i now have a i heart kexp mug.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Nee said...

you probably got what I wrote you already, but you sounded great. I loved hearing you!! I couldn't listen at work, but it's the first thing I did when I got home. And I don't think anybody likes the sound of their own voice.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home