Sunday, March 26, 2006

Porkalicious.

I cooked something fantastic last night. Carnitas. Holy cow these are awesome. And cheap! Pork shoulder (at Whole Foods, mind you!) was only $3.79/lb. Both the butcher and the checkout woman asked me what I was making and seemed impressed by my answer. (The butcher asked me to bring him some!)

My recipe inspiration came from Matthew from Roots and Grubs, and his post directed me to this amazing eGullet thread about cooking carnitas. With that excess of information, here's the general path I followed (it's very similar to Matthew's recipe and post #65 from the eGullet thread):

Cut the pork shoulder (mine was 2.3 lbs) into approximately 1-inch cubes and toss with 1 (really big) chopped onion, 2 minced jalapenos, 5 cloves of minced garlic, 2 T cumin, 1 T oregano, a bunch of cilantro, and some chili powder. Let all that sit in the fridge for a few hours.
Then put the pork into a big pot with 1/4 c lime juice, 1/4 c lemon juice, 1/2 c orange juice, 1/2 c tequila, 1/2 c beer (I used an IPA), and 1 c chicken stock. Simmer until almost all of the liquid is gone (almost exactly 2 hours for me). Then turn up the heat slightly and fry. You're ready when everything gets a little crispy.

Mmm. Soooo good. Too bad that new omega-3-enriched pork isn't available yet...

(On another note, eGullet is awesome. Check out this 15-page thread about roasted cauliflower!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home