Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Two out of three ain't bad.

So in case you're wondering what's going on, I have now entered Kate's Summer of Suckiness(TM). What that means is: I have 19 hours of class a week (16 hours of which is at night Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday), I am still trying to work, because you know, I need to eat (um, and drink), I'll probably miss trivia most Mondays (because, you know, the class thing), and I have to DRIVE to class every Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday. (This is a big deal. I don't like driving all that much. Especially because I have to pay for gas. And double-especially I don't like driving in Seattle rush hour at 5 pm. [I have to drive because it's kind of far away, and bussing would be pretty inconvenient. I may try it though. We'll see.])

BUT. Two of my classes are some of the best classes I've ever taken. For one of them, the reasons are pretty obvious: it's a cooking lab. Every Wednesday, we meet in a UW cafeteria and cook...and then EAT. Today we were cooking legumes and grains - my "lab partner" and I made chocolate pudding (we made it from a mix, and we were comparing it with another group's homemade pudding), wild rice pilaf, and wheatberry tabbouleh. Highlights from the eating period included baked 3-cheese polenta with tomato-basil sauce and a lentil-veggie tostada that other groups made. There are no tests in this class - we fill out lab reports (which involve evaluating taste and texture of various foods) and we're graded on participation. Awesome.

The other class is the second half of anatomy and physiology. It's about as different from the cooking lab as you can get - it's a whole quarter condensed into 8 weeks, 2 classes and labs a week, and approximately an exam a week, too. Lots of stuff to learn. But the professor is awesome. She's young, and she has tattoos (not like this is on my good-professor-requirement list or anything), but more importantly she knows her stuff. Case in point, I hung around for an extra 20 minutes tonight because she was telling us interesting things about sickle-cell anemia and Pelger-Huet. Twenty extra minutes! I must really like her.

And my third class...well, it's only met once, but let's just say that I wasn't impressed. And it's microbiology! You'd think I'd like that. I'll withhold judgment until after tomorrow night, but I don't think I'll be staying any extra minutes for THIS professor to explain anything.

Of course, by that I mean she doesn't have any tattoos.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm....tattoos.

10:30 AM  
Blogger fabulous girl said...

Um, really? Reminds me of this post from Things That Make You Go "Hmmm":
http://make-you-hmmm.blogspot.com/2006
/05/youre-out-of-marriage-pool_09.html

Not that we care about that shit.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It entirely depends on the tattoo (size/design/quality). And location. (...)

But...tattoos on a teacher? Sure. Why not?

And anyway, I'm not currently looking to get married.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Separately, I can't believe nobody's made a joke about "20 minutes...."

6:27 PM  
Blogger BS said...

I'm with rotorglow. Love tattoos...including mine.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw shucks, BS. We should have coffee sometime....

9:06 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

So, 6 days later, and I still have not come up with an adequate "20 minutes" joke. We'll just have to leave it at that.

And I think tasteful, small, mostly inconspicuous tattoos are fantastic. (Like yours, BS.) I haven't gotten one because of A)the threat of pain, since I am a huge wimp, and B) I can't think of anything that I'd want forever.

(Although, if I HAD to get a tattoo, like forced at gunpoint, I'd get a pea. That's right, the vegetable.)

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But I think you already came up with the core (or at least the setup) of a "20 minutes" joke. Like, someone could now say, "20 extra minutes is usually how I can tell if I really like someone too." Or something equally...lame.

I hear the physical pain of a tattoo is nothing compared to the psychic pain. And anyway, dealing with the physical pain is why people drink tequila before picking out the tattoo.

Props for the pea, though. I wonder if that's ever been done....

7:27 AM  
Blogger fabulous girl said...

I enjoy that TK is making it a summer of suckiness for all of us by not posting regularly. Not.

I don't really care about tattoos one way or the other, it just reminded me of that post. And, like TK, I have yet to find something I'd want forever. Although sometimes I think I should get a little maple leaf ...

TK, if we get a couple of shots of tequila into you and get you a pea tattoo, we'll have to close down the Hostess factory because the city will have exceeded its max sweetnes quotient.

How about, it doesn't take 20 extra minutes unless you're doing it wrong ...?

11:21 AM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

FG, I like the 20 minutes joke, but let me tell you, my anatomy professor is doing it RIGHT.

(Here's to hoping she's not interested in googling her students...)

Also, the microbiology class just keeps getting worse. We spend 20 minutes on something, and she says, "You don't have to know this." Then we skip whole chapters of stuff that's on the exams. The EXAMS, however! We take them in groups! And they're open book!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

My clinical instructor this summer has tattoos that would be discretely hidden if we didn't work in aquatics. So far no patient has been offended, which is the reason the hospital has dress code policies about visible tatttos, however I agree with what has been said and I think that tasteful (or in Kate's case tasty) tattoos are AOK regardless of dress code polices.

Don't think I have the attention span for one myself... I'd get bored of it too quickly.

2:14 PM  
Blogger BS said...

Oh, but Rotorglow, I would be so sad to meet yet another fabulous Bostonian right before I leave. That being said, sure, anytime.

TK, pain is relative. If we weren't in virtual mixed company, I'd convince you that you could handle a pea.

Jess, can I be a patient who's offended by a PT wearing stockings in the summer? Or by anyone wearing Talbot's, period?

8:13 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Ha! Tasty! Nice one, Jess.

And BS, funny that you mentioned Talbot's. Did you know that the FG herself used to work at Talbot's?

11:07 PM  
Blogger fabulous girl said...

umm, that wasn't really for public knowledge, tk ...

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home