Sunday, October 02, 2005

For your consumption.

Read: Specimen Days.

Another one of Cunningham's books, The Hours, featured 3 interrelated, interwoven stories that all involved Mrs. Dalloway. Specimen Days is slightly different in that the stories are separated in the book. This book revolves around Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass--I haven't read Leaves of Grass, and I have read Mrs. Dalloway, but that didn't affect my enjoyment of the book. One note of caution is that Specimen Days is CREEPY. I had to stop reading it before bed after 2 nights of scary dreams involving industrial era factory machinery and burglars with guns.

Also, I guess the title of Cunningham's novel comes from Whitman's published diary.


Cook: Roasted eggplant and tomatoes with penne and ricotta.

I like to use whole wheat penne instead of rigatoni, but it's not a big deal. Whatever you do, please use fresh ricotta (it's definitely available at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, and probably most nicer supermarkets [not with the pre-sliced cheese, but with the cheese blocks like brie, etc]). And the fresh basil is a really nice addition too.

4 Comments:

Blogger BS said...

My mom's newest quick and easy dinner:

Sautee onions, add shrimp, add crushed canned peeled tomatoes, add feta until it melts. Pour over pasta, sprinkle with fresh basil.

She swears by it. Sort of a fancier version of my bachelorette's dinner.

10:50 AM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Mmm. I LOVE anything involving cheese + tomatoes + basil + pasta.

I have some frozen TJ's shrimp in the freezer right now...

11:27 AM  
Blogger fabulous girl said...

umm, what ricotta options are there other than /fresh/ ? Are you suggesting that it comes, like Parmesan, in a green Kraft shaker?

1:39 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Oh--yeah, that's not very clear from my post. When I say "fresh," I mean the kind that was made recently and has a limited shelf life. In Whole Foods (in Boston anyway) it's in clear plastic containers in the refrigerated case of the cheese section. And at the Capitol Hill Trader Joe's it's in the cheese section, near the tubs of mozzarella, labeled "Fresh Ricotta."

Basically, I mean NOT the ricotta that's in the section of the supermarket with the Kraft singles and string cheese. So not Sargento brand or whatever. (Although, honestly, the recipe would still probably be pretty good with the not-fresh kind...)

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home