Sunday, October 16, 2005

All cooked out.

The FG came over this afternoon and we made soups. That's right, soup plural. See, Nate and I are in this vegetable co-op, and as part of the "storage share" for winter, we got approximately 40 heads of garlic (I'm not exaggerating). So the FG helped find some soup recipes involving LOTS of garlic--not normally a criteria I use when searching for recipes.

The first one we made was this roasted garlic soup recipe from Epicurious. (Please note that we doubled the recipe--so we used 88 cloves of garlic.) Oh man, is this good. The garlic really mellows out and becomes almost sweet. And the cheese and the cream! Delicious.

Our second soup was one of Mark Bittman's recipes from How to Cook Everything: Roasted Garlic Soup with Arborio Rice and Peas. We doubled this one, too, but even that only used 16 cloves of garlic. I'll give you the doubled recipe, along with some "modifications" (ie, "not reading the recipe correctly") I made during cooking (ALL my fault--the FG was working on the Epicurious soup).

Roasted Garlic Soup with Arborio Rice and Peas
Place 8 T. olive oil in a large soup pot on medium heat. Add 16 peeled cloves of garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is golden brown. Remove the garlic from the pot and set aside. Add 1 c. arborio rice to the pan and stir for 30 seconds. Add 8 c. vegetable stock, 1 T. ground cumin, and 1 t. chili powder. Stir, bring to a simmer, and cook for about 12 minutes, or until the rice is cooked. Chop the garlic coarsely and return to the pot, along with 1 c. thawed frozen peas. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think this would be really good with shrimp added.

And then later this evening I made a Belgian chicken stew (with a beer broth!). This was DELICIOUS. If you want the recipe, let me know, and I'll send it to you. I am all cooked out at this point and I don't feel like thinking about food anymore.

Woah. I don't think I've ever said that before!

8 Comments:

Blogger Nee said...

I want the recipe for the Belgian chicken stew!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Nee said...

Have you ever made Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic?

We made it once and it was really good! That's one way to get rid of a lot of your garlic! You should also try roasting a whole head and having it as an appetizer with olive oil and bread before dinner. I've wanted to try doing that for awhile.

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A garlic clove is the piece of the garlic bud right? There are like 6 cloves per garlic bud? Any suggestions for alternatives to chicken stock?

I like the app idea too.

James

9:30 AM  
Blogger Nee said...

Hmmm... garlic head is the whole thing of garlic. A clove is the individual bits that make the whole. There are like 20 in each head - definitely way more than 6.

You could use vegetable stock in place of chicken stock.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Rainster said...

88 cloves of garlic! WOW!

I'm hungry now, after reading this post.... =)

12:29 PM  
Blogger paducci said...

so you should watch Eat Drink Man Woman, its a good movie, and the opening sequence the Dad is preparing this amazing meal, while proclaiming hes 'throwing together some noodles'

8:03 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Ooh, good call. I'll add Eat Drink Man Woman to my library request list! Have you seen Like Water for Chocolate? I think that involved food too...although I could be confusing it with something else...

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I thought I liked garlic.

And yes, Like Water For Chocolate: food<-->love, more or less. (And I think the heroine was in the first Wes Anderson movie Bottle Rocket.)

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home