Sunday, October 01, 2006

On the road!

My first weekend after becoming a full-time grad student, and I didn't do a single minute of work. Whoops. But here are some things that DID happen.

I went on a 36-mile bike ride - beautiful weather and scenery, a ferry ride to the peninsula, and delicious snacks (sometimes after months of eating natural peanut butter, Jif tastes absolutely fantastic).

On Friday night, I went to two different concerts. These next few weeks I'll be seeing more live music than I have in the past 6 months (more about this later), and I am totally excited.

Saturday night - 70s party! (Although the party was at Ryan's, site of last year's infamous Halloween party, I managed to control myself this time.)

Who wants to buy my car?

And, the big news: on Saturday I drove Nate's (manually-transmissioned) car on the road! With stoplights! And other cars! And I was totally freaking out and almost hyperventilating but I didn't stall once and I didn't get in an accident. (And I'd be happy if I never had to drive it ever again.)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Congrats the manually-transmissioned driving. Before I got to the part of you being happy never to do it again, was going to ask if you felt empowered. But I guess you didn't.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erm, that should be: "Congrats *on* the manually transmissioned..." and "Before I got to the part *about* you being..." (!)

Proof twice, publish once.

Zzzz.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Filmire said...

Hey, good work! Next time you won't be freaking out as much. Soon after that, you won't be freaking out at all. :-)

7:18 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Hmm. Empowered? Not really...but I was/am definitely excited that I did it. I do still wish that I wouldn't have to do it again, though...

Phil, I will ALWAYS freak out about it. Really. I am that neurotic.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're selling jetta? But I love those heated seats. I'll miss it. Give it a cheeto goodbye for me.

11:13 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

I will definitely miss the heated seats. Warm butts are good.

Cheeto goodbye - what does that entail exactly? Is it like pouring one out for a homie?

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What shows did you see / are you planning on seeing? You know I rely on you to tell me what the cool kids are listening to these days!!

I saw the Weakerthans recently. Do you know them? I think you would love them.

8:41 AM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

I've heard *of* the Weakerthans, but not heard them. I should check them out.

I have to write a whole other post about what will be my month of rock. Soon...

8:50 AM  
Blogger BS said...

TK, I think it's only fair that you share your music knowledge, or at least awareness, with the rest of us (though your Seattle friends probably don't need it like I do). The FG gives us shoes, I've started with the bags, and now I humbly request that you provide the tunes. Pretty please?

Re: the manual transmission thing? You rock. But I drove around SF this weekend, parallel parked on a hill, and drove down something so steep my heart was in my throat. There is no way in hell I'm learning to drive stick in this city. This is not fear of embarassment, or even fear of hitting another car, it's fear of death. Backwards, off a cliff.

9:13 AM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

BS, that's a very interesting idea. I will definitely consider it - although I don't think I could commit to a weekly music thing...

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home