Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Attempting disinterest (but it's just a front).

So Kristen from Give Me Some Food actually asked me to do one of those internet-y meme things. Really?! I sort of told myself I'd never do one (I viewed them as kind of like those Valentine's Day candygrams [BTW, happy V-day everyone!] you send in high school--you send them to your friends and then spend the day worrying if you're going to get one back, and they're not really all that exciting, anyway), but maybe that was just because no one invited me! Once I started, it was pretty fun.

And hey, if super blogger celebrity Kottke can do it, so can I! (I still kind of cheated a little, though.)

Anyway, here it is, my four things.

Four jobs I've had: ice cream scooper, chemistry lab teaching assistant, Kaplan SAT prep class teacher, medical writer.

Four movies I could watch over and over: Um. I don't really watch movies over and over. Maybe Legally Blonde and Bring It On, because I used to watch those a lot with my old roommate? In elementary school I used to watch Lady and the Tramp a lot, but that was because the after-school program teachers would always show it whenever we had days off of school. (Instead, should I do "four books I could read over and over"? These books are the equivalent of a security blanket for me: Circle of Friends, High Fidelity, The Shipping News, This Boy's Life.)

Four places I've lived (I am doing five--I have only lived in five places, ever): Westmont NJ, Voorhees NJ, Providence RI, Somerville MA, Seattle WA. (Oh wait--I lived in Medford MA too. But that was close enough to Somerville to count it as one.)

Four TV shows I love (I am choosing shows that are on tv now): Project Runway, The Office, Gilmore Girls, Law and Order: Criminal Intent.

Four highly regarded TV shows that I have never watched a minute of: Lost, 24, Deadwood, The Shield.

Four places I've vacationed: I don't get the point of this one. I've been to a ton of different places. Instead I'm doing the last four places I've visited that have required a plane or longish car ride: Boston, Las Vegas, Portland OR, Voorhees NJ.

Four of my favorite dishes: lavash bread pizza and cheap wine, bhangan bharta and/or mattar paneer and garlic naan, sushi (eel and avocado, spicy tuna, anything salmon), grilled cheese and tomato soup. (Seriously, there are WAY more than four: falafel from East Side Pockets in Providence, french fries with lots of ketchup, the bacon that I made as part of Christmas dinner, Granny Smith apples and peanut butter, pickles, chocolate cake doughnuts from Dunkin Donuts...okay, I should stop now.)

Four sites I visit daily: Gmail, eGullet...and it's way more than four, because daily I visit everyone I've linked to on my blog.

Four places I'd rather be right now: in Boston before a huge snowstorm with lots of books and movies and food and baking supplies and alcohol (and in my dream I don't have to leave the house for a week and every single person I like in Boston lives a block away and can trudge through the snow to reach me), right in the front at a small-venue concert of one of my favorite bands (we can start with something like CYHSY, but if this is my dream: Wilco or the Shins), at Trivia Night, driving across country from Boston to Seattle.

And I'm not going to tag anyone, because it's like the candygram thing: what if no one does it? Then I'll feel bad. But if you want to, you should do it! It's totally fun.

5 Comments:

Blogger BS said...

This is entirely random, but have you ever checked out this place? Apparently, it's owned by my friend at work's brother - and she's the kindest, most patient woman I've met (at least in my line of work).

8:28 PM  
Blogger Colin said...

"My four things"
by Colin

Four jobs I've had:
Trainer (corporate not physical)
Bartender
Pallet repairs
A/V tech

Four movies I could watch over and over:
Hmm, this is tricky. How about -
Fever Pitch (the original)
A Clockwork Orange
The Big Lebowski
Return of the Pink Panther

Four places I've lived:
Geneva, Switzerland
Ayr, Scotland
Somerville, MA
Portland, OR

Four TV shows I love:
The Daily Show
The Simpsons
The Office (UK)
Futurama

Four highly regarded shows I've never watched:
24
Lost
Desperate Housewives
Gray's Anatomy

Four places I've vacationed:
Peru
Thailand
Italy
Tunisia

Four of my favourite dishes:
Swimming Rama
Really good filet mignon, medium rare
Scottish fish & chips (w/ salt & sauce)
Spaghetti with fresh pesto sauce

Four sites I visit daily:
Livejournal
BoingBoing
Blogspot
Pharyngula

Four places I'd rather be right now:
Koh Phangan
Edinburgh
Boston
An Arsenal game (when they're winning)

(not that I'm not happy where I am, but that's the category...)

11:59 PM  
Blogger Rainster said...

4...

jobs I've had:
* bakery girl
* photographer for cruise line
* community organizer
* communications coordinator

movies I could watch over and over:
* The Great Escape
* I Heart Huckabees
* Bend It Like Beckham
* The Matrix

places I've lived:
* Seattle, WA
* Worcester, MA
* Waterville, ME
* St Andrews, Scotland

TV shows I love (although I don't watch them regularly, and some of them only on DVD):
* The West Wing
* Coupling (BBC)
* Scrubs
* The Colbert Report

highly regarded shows I've never watched:
* Grey's Anatomy
* Desperate Housewives
* Oprah
* Extreme Makeover: Home Edition

places I've vacationed ("vacation" meaning I did NOT go there for business/volunteering and stay a few extra days, but rather went there entirely to see people or for fun):
* London
* LA
* Chicago
* Yellowstone

of my favorite dishes:
* lasagna
* Thai black rice pudding
* Caesar salad
* anything salmon

sites I visit daily:
* Yahoo Mail
* Outlook mail
* BBC News
* various blogs

places I'd rather be right now:
* France, visiting Tamui
* DC, visiting Nyasha
* Barcelona, practicing Spanish
* Hawaii

You know what was hardest? The TV stuff!

12:42 AM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

You guys are the best! I didn't think anyone would play along.

And BS, no, I haven't been there, but I should go!

8:05 AM  
Blogger fabulous girl said...

Four Jobs:
Canoe Trip Leader
Ropes Course Facilitator
Event Coordinator
Fundraiser

Four Movies:
The Princess Bride
The English Patient
The Philadelphia Story
Out of Africa

Four Places Lived:
Oakville, Ontario
Ina, Japan
Portland, OR
Seattle, WA

Four Vay-Cays:
Sanibel Island
Nairobi
Florence
Kyoto

Four Dishes:
Panang
Paneer Tikka Masala
Sashimi - toro, ika, spider roll
Macaroni & cheese

Four TVs:
Daily Show
The O.C.
Boston Legal
Gray's Anatomy

Four Sites:
Gawker
NYTimes
The Note
Epicurious

Four Places to be:
New York City
a deserted beach by a warm ocean
Paris
New York City

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home