Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Recap, of sorts.

I tend to like to group my blog posts into semi-thematic categories. You get the trivia night ones, you get the food ones, you get the I-got-drunk-and-sang-karaoke ones. And now, we will inaugurate a recap/grab-bag type of post here at Trivial Kate. Enjoy!

Last week Nate was in Japan for work. (Insert jealous whining here.) So there were nights of bad reality tv and my typical bachelorette dinner of lavash bread pizza and cheap wine (it's a coincidence I'm linking to that post because there was some standard ennui, as well), nights of beer celebrating Teman's brief return to Seattle, and, of course, Trivia Night.

On Thursday I took a math placement test for a class I'm planning on taking (more on this later). I needed to pass the equivalent of high school pre-algebra, so I wasn't too worried. I knew I was doing well when I speeded through the algebra problems and went straight to the trig and pre-calculus. I somehow remembered that the sin of pi
/2 is zero, and then the questions got much harder after that.

Here's something cool: Tamara Murphy (the chef from Brasa, home of the most fantastic happy hour in Seattle) is writing a blog called The Life of a Pig. It's going to follow 5 piglets from their life on the farm to a feast at Brasa. As long as I don't see the slaughtering, I am all for this. I think it's important to know what your meat looks like as an animal, and it definitely sounds like these pigs are treated extremely well during their lives. (I know that I should probably be fine with the slaughtering, too. Sorry, I'm not there yet.)

Finally, the Superbowl. That was mostly a let-down, especially after last year. And the commercials weren't even that great. Oh well. We made a delicious bean dip with an ingenious bean dip matrix: one quadrant had 10 layers (including both sour cream and olives), 2 quadrants had 9 (each omitting either sour cream or olives), and the last quadrant had 8 (no sour cream or olives). I'm not sure if people noticed/cared, but it was completely eaten by the first quarter.

And did anyone else notice Seattle's choice of entrance music? Here's a quote from a Slate article: "But perhaps Seattle brought this on themselves by coming out of the tunnel to The Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony." Note to the Seahawks: That's probably not the best choice of pump-up tunes. Next time, why not just play Beck's "Loser"?"

Seriously! "Bittersweet Symphony"?! What happened to "We Are the Champions"? "Who Let the Dogs Out", even? Or why not a Seattle band? I am positive that you could find something more inspiring and fist-pumping than The Verve among Nirvana/Soundgarden/Alice in Chains/Pearl Jam. Hell, what about Modest Mouse?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally, the Superbowl. That was mostly a let-down, especially after last year.

Huh? Did something happen at the Super Bowl last year?? I must've missed it....Hmph.

But yes: let-down. See also, "robbery, highway."

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot this part: The dip sounds amazing.

11:23 AM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Oh, it was great. I'll list the layers for you (in case anyone cares): refried beans, homemade guacamole (which had a number of components, but I am just counting it all as 1 layer), salsa, diced orange bell pepper, sour cream (on half), olives (on half), jalapenos, shredded cheddar cheese, diced scallions.

Wait. That's only 9. Hmm.

12:21 PM  
Blogger fabulous girl said...

In addition to comment envy, I now also have dip envy - mine was only 3 layers. But there weren't any leftovers ...

1:09 PM  
Blogger Colin said...

Fear not, FG, your dip was quite fitting for the adjective in your moniker.

Anyway, I don't like bell peppers or olives.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home