Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Maybe watching Lost comes next.

On Saturday, when Chris and I were drinking beer at the Middle East, we somehow started playing a game of this-is-just-how-unconnected-I-am-from-popular-culture (the geeky version). I forget who won, but here's my tally: I've seen only one of the newer Star Wars movies, I've seen only the first Matrix and Lord of the Rings, and I haven't read a single Harry Potter book or seen a single Harry Potter movie.

But! On the plane back from Boston, I got tired of the in-flight magazine's crossword puzzle (half of the clues were about old-school movies I haven't seen), my book was a little too attention-requiring for plane reading, and the movie was over (incidentally, I really liked the movie--for plane watching, anyway--and I had to surreptitiously brush away some [okay, a lot, I am a freaking softie] tears at the end). So I turned to the magazine's sudoku puzzle. I've managed to avoid this trend so far, just like the Harry Potterish stuff, but what was I thinking? Sudoku is great. It totally appeals to my organized, kind-of-mathematical-but-not-too-much, obsessive nature. Yay!

(Overall, obviously, Chris totally wins the disconnected from popular culture game, because he doesn't even have cable. Not to mention the fact that I was able to work an anecdote from the new season of The Bachelor into conversation. [I'm still rather embarrassed about that one.])

9 Comments:

Blogger paducci said...

reading that book requires much attention. so many people...

5:47 AM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

I've actually read it before, too! And I kind of like how there's a family tree in the front of the book, except it means I have to keep flipping back and forth, which is annoying.

Ha! Joe, that's an awesome story. I don't know what level these were, but I imagine they were pretty easy. And I have heard a ton of good things about Nip/Tuck...just what I need, more tv to watch.

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jojo hearts sudoku. Iits actually taken over television without pity and IMDB as my #1 procrastination website. And I don't feel guilty about it at all! I'm preventing Alzheimer's! Keeping my mind active! I like websudoku.com, because I'm too lazy to check my answers to see if I did it right. The downfall to the website is when you do the hardest ones, I usually have to write them down to figure it out. But go there! Fun and learning!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Colin said...

Woo! I totally dig sudoku... my dad and I spent a fair amount of our free time in Peru working on sudoku (either separately or as a team). Good for the mind!

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm extremely disappointed you have never read Harry Potter! Did you read Roald Dahl as a kid?

I'm reading Kitchen Confidential right now ... by Anthony Bourdain. It's not exactly a classical masterpiece, but you would really like it I think.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course I win when you factor in the cable TV thing. I win in a walk.

I'm sure you were winning before that, though.

But just to secure my lead, get this: I've never played sudoku, though I fear that might not last long.

Wait...what do I win, again?

3:31 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

You know, Joanna, when I was doing it, I thought, "I bet Joanna would LOVE this." But to know that it's taken over TWOP and IMDB?! High praise!

CI, you didn't know I haven't read any Harry Potters? I did read Roald Dahl when I was little (along with CS Lewis), but for some reason HP has really never appealed to me. Sorry. And I loooooved Kitchen Confidential.

Rotorglow--sudoku might be an excellent time-waster, you know, if you needed one at work or something...after all of the frittata is eaten, of course. And you win... A DVD box set of Wife Swap!

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm...Wife Sw-...Frittata! I meant "Mmmm...Frittata!"

I will have to look into sudoku. As soon as I update this resume here...

7:02 PM  
Blogger Nee said...

Lost is awesome.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home