Monday, December 19, 2005

I put your face on her all year.

On Saturday night we went to see the Wrens at the KEXP Yule Benefit. There were a bunch of bands playing, but old lady that I am, I don't like standing for hours, so we got there late enough to see only the last 2 songs from Harvey Danger and the entire Okkervil River and Wrens sets. Okkervil River was good, but I thought the 3 songs I knew from listening to KEXP were the best of the bunch (here are two: "For Real" and "Black").

The Wrens were great. The Meadowlands is one of my top [insert small number] albums of all time. Most of the stuff they played on Saturday was from Meadowlands, with the exception of a cover of "Jingle Bells" to the tune of "Blister in the Sun" and a new song in which one of the Wrens (I think Kevin Whelan) called another Wren (I think Greg Whelan--they're brothers!) on his cell phone (on stage!) and Greg held his phone up to his guitar and Kevin sang into his phone and somehow Greg's guitar picked up Kevin's voice and sort of played it, half as vocals, half as guitar notes. [Edited to add: Josh got a picture of the cell phone thing. And DAMN it, I wish I had seen these posters for sale.]

The best thing about the Wrens is that both Whelan brothers work at Pfizer, and apparently back in the day one of them (Greg?) used to work with people from my company!

(Also, I've discovered that Nate is in looooooooove with DJ Michelle Myers [she MCed the concert]. But that's cool because John is my [not-so-] secret boyfriend.)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you remember seeing Harvey Danger for free one summer thanks to WBRU? Weren't they absolutely awful back then? Are they any better now? I actually enjoyed their new album.

3:54 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

I kind of remember that... That was back in the "Flagpole Sitta" days, right? Such a bad yet catchy song!

From the new stuff I've heard, they've gotten a LOT better. (You know, they offer their entire new album for free on their website.)

5:03 PM  
Blogger paducci said...

nate has good taste, i dig her too.

oh, and we went to pommes frites on sat night. :)

6:01 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Mmmm, Pommes Frites. Soooo good. My favorite sauce is the rosemary mayo. Did I tell you that they opened up a Frites place here? It's attached to Neumo's, where we saw the show on Saturday. But so far it's not at the NYC frites' level. I am hoping they just need to get into the fry groove.

And yeah yeah Michelle Myers.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Colin said...

Not to worry you, but the frites place attached to Neumos? It's been there for at least a year and a half... so I'm thinking that the way they make their fries now is pretty much how they're going to continue making them.

Although, I think they're pretty tasty.

10:22 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

So I LOVE the frites place attached to Neumo's. I think it's great. But it doesn't approach the absolute greatness of Pommes Frites in NYC.

But any kind of fried potatoes with mayo dipping sauces (and of course ketchup) are phenomenal in my book. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful that we have our own frites place here!

11:17 PM  
Blogger paducci said...

i think we went to that frites place while i was there. uhm, yeah, can't even put pommes frites and that place in the same sentence, which i just did.

i think i got some horseradish based sauce. mmm mmm good.

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home