Tuesday, December 06, 2005

2 things.

This site has such good deals on magazine subscriptions, I keep imagining scenarios of how they're going to screw me over. Are they selling my name and address? Stealing my credit card number? Whatever they do, I think it's worth it for their prices. Yesterday, I ordered Bon Appetit for $0.38 an issue, Self for $0.40 an issue, Rolling Stone for $0.11 an issue (even if they have nothing good in an entire issue: ELEVEN CENTS), and Runner's World for $0.25 an issue. I am REALLY tempted by the New Yorker, but I really doubt I'd read it every week, and then there'd just be big piles of magazines all over the apartment.

Have you guys heard that Black Eyed Peas song "My Humps"? It is a mind-bogglingly terrible song. (And I am not being all indie rock on you right now: I am speaking as the person who went to an *NSYNC concert unironically when I was in COLLEGE. [In my defense, the ticket was free...]) Anyway, you should read this article about the awfulness of the song. (I really like Hua Hsu, so I always read his stuff on Slate, but this is especially good.)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the real crime is kindergarten students, like the ones in the classroom my roomate substituted for, singing that song.

5:16 PM  
Blogger BS said...

Thank GOD someone said something about that song. It's the worst! And I never knew we had so much in common Kate. I had a similar *NSYNC experience - down to the free ticket.

5:17 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Kindergarten students!?!? Oh, that is very sad.

And BS, I never knew that you went to an *NSYNC concert! (It was really quite impressive, I thought--just in terms of the technical stuff and all of the dancing...)

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait...did I read that right? you chose RS instead of the New Yorker? Wow. You should reconsider. You'd totally love it. Even if you only read every third one.

8:03 AM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

So it's not that I made the conscious decision to pick RS OVER the New Yorker, it was more like, "RS is only ELEVEN CENTS per issue--that's practically free--so I might as well get it." I don't care if I don't read it ever.

With the New Yorker, I KNOW I'd love it and want to read most of the issues, and they're pretty text-heavy, and they come every week, and I'm worried I won't read as many books if I get the New Yorker. (And I can't read the New Yorker at the gym because the text is too small to see when bouncing around on the elliptical--I've tried.)

That being said, maybe I should get it for a year and try it out. It's still really cheap.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I guess I didn't mean to say you picked RS OVER the NYer. Just that you picked RS and not the NYer too.

I can see your point, though. The NYer definitely does pile up. And RS has all those pictures, which,based on the last time I looked a Rolling Stone, are conducive to elliptical-browsing.

Still. Don't you need something to counteract the Rolling Stone? Even if you don't read either one of them, ever?

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home