Monday, December 12, 2005

For your consumption (second in the series).

It's time for another read/cook post. But first, let me say that I had a pretty awesome weekend. First was karaoke on Friday. Then on Saturday, it was our Lolita book club where I got to break out my fancy literary epiphany and we had a surprisingly heated (but not in a bad way) debate about the book. THEN (after the book club ended around midnight) we went to Mr. Trivia and roommate's holiday party, where we admired the branches of government-themed Christmas tree (I liked the Supreme Court ornament the best) and drank gin and tonics out of Waterford crystal glasses. (By the way, giving me an expensive, breakable item is a bad idea, even in the soberest of situations.)

Sunday started with a delicious brunch, although there was an embarrassing moment when I got a little too excited about the squeezable jam packets on our table. (But they were really cool! Squeezable! So much nicer than those little rectangular tubs!)

Anyway. Here are some read/cook recommendations.

Read: Prep: A Novel.

So when I saw the cover of this book, I dismissed it as (probably bad) chick-lit. But then the NY Times picked it as one of the 10 Best Books of 2005. I am nothing if not a sheep-like follower of NYT recommendations, so I requested the book from the library. And you know what? It was great. I mean, it's not Nabokov or anything, but it's a quick read with great characters, an interesting plot, and incredibly believable dialogue.

I'm not sure if it was insomnia-induced reading, or reading-induced insomnia, but I read the entire book last Monday night (from about 11:30 PM to 5:00 AM Tuesday morning). In a lot of (rather uncomfortable) ways, the main character reminded me of me in high school--she's really self-conscious, insecure, and internal (like, she overanalyzes everything). Thank goodness I've changed so much, right? Right? Ahem.

As a disclaimer: it's not typical chick-lit, but I think the book might be more appealing to the girls out there.

Cook: Jamie Oliver's Chicken in Milk.

So this sounds really weird and disgusting. Lemon zest and milk? But it was fantastic. I am now convinced that Jamie knows his way around a chicken (see my lemon-butt chicken post). To go with the chicken, I made this baked brown rice pilaf. Soooo good. I'm normally pretty inept at making rice, but this recipe is foolproof. And the rice bakes at the same temperature as the chicken! Fate!

7 Comments:

Blogger Colin said...

Hey! Jam!

11:03 PM  
Blogger fabulous girl said...

It was more like ... JAM!!!!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Colin said...

True. In my memory, it involved silencing all other conversations in order to declare "JAM" with the combination of gravitas and excitement that it so deserved.


(Also, after a few drinks, it can be challenging to type the "word verification" letters accurately).

12:40 AM  
Blogger Colin said...

For no reason at all, I thought you'd like this photo.

4:44 PM  
Blogger fabulous girl said...

drinking and commenting? Is that really safe? I know that TK would NEVER do that ...

8:16 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

Ooooh, I would NEVER drink and comment. And Colin, don't worry, because sometimes I find the word verification difficult when totally sober.

Hee! And I am not a cat person, but that picture is sooooooooo cute.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Colin said...

Drinking & commenting - I can't decide if it's more dangerous than drinking & posting... I feel like it might be.

In any case, I'm rather impressed that not only did I manage to type the "word verification" letters correctly, but I actually managed to type out "word verification" in my comment.

I think that only the most harden soul would not find that photo adorable. You should really check out that blog - it's just a collection of the cutest cuteness on the web. I don't necessarily find all of it as cute as some people might, but there are definitely some extremely cute pictures on there.

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home