Sunday, February 26, 2006

Bacon Fest 2K6: results and reflections.

I know some of you have been anxiously awaiting the results of Bacon Fest 2K6. First, let me say that Colin has already written a fantastic recap.

Here are the pictures on Flickr: start here. I wrote a lot of notes with the pictures, but I have some things to add. In addition to the 8 different bacons, we also tested cooking methods: microwaving, pan-frying, and broiling. Surprisingly (at least to me, since I always cook bacon in the microwave), pan-frying was the clear winner.

After we tested the types of bacon and cooking methods, the gluttony began. We had BLTs and other sandwiches (which Colin calls "bacon butties") and then resorted to eating the bacon straight. Nine people consumed about 6 to 8 pounds of bacon. (Also, 2 people left after the first tasting round, so it was more like 7 people.) The apartment smelled like bacon for days. Mmm...

My favorite bacon was Wellshire Farms (my comment: "very salty, but delicious"), and my least favorite was Hempler's ("too fatty, not enough flavor"). I also correctly identified which bacon was the "supermarket control" (ie, Oscar Mayer). My comment about first place winner Niman Ranch (and my second choice overall): "Seems really fattening, but that's good for bacon." (I can't come close other participants' comments, however: "rich, complex, superb mouth-feel", "notes of duck", and the somewhat frightening "nice sensation.")

A nice surprise was that Nate and I have successfully passed the all-important BCT (Bacon Compatibility Test): we both chose the same bacon as our favorite, least favorite, and we both correctly identified the supermarket bacon!

This was seriously one of the coolest things I've done. From the scientific method to eating almost a pound of bacon, it was a great day. Onward to Bacon Fest 2K7!

5 Comments:

Blogger fabulous girl said...

What I enjoy most about these photos, is that, despite all your talk of 7-9 people at the event, there are only photos of you & Colin (with the exeption of my arm in one of the shots). Are you sure you didn't just imagine the other attendees? Hilarious!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Rainster said...

So now I take back my comment about the 14 Carrots having the best bacon in Seattle. After brunch today, I realize that that honor correctly goes to Library Bistro. Their bacon was perfectly crispy, but not too crispy/crumbly, and not at all charred. And there was absolutely none of that chewy fat, which I hate.

I forgot to ask how they cooked it, though.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Colin said...

Hahah, yeah, Kate & I just ate about 8 pounds of bacon by ourselves...

I can't come close other participants' comments, however: "rich, complex, superb mouth-feel", "notes of duck", and the somewhat frightening "nice sensation."

I believe those may have all been from Chad. :)

5:01 PM  
Blogger UW Nutrition said...

You're absolutely right. There were other people there, I swear...

And I know Nate made the "nice sensation" comment, because I remember I thought it was especially weird. But yes, I think the rest of those were Chad's. He has a real future in bacon tasting!

5:19 PM  
Blogger paducci said...

mmm...bacon. i want some...right this second.

wave that nepali flag!

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home